- This event has passed.
[NAT] ‘International ASI Sommelier Diploma’ Certification Exam 2023
Date: March 13
On Monday 13 March 2023, ASI (Association de la Sommellerie Internationale), in association with Sommeliers Australia, will again offer the ‘International ASI Sommelier Diploma’ certification exam to local sommeliers, which is a major opportunity for sommeliers in Australia to gain international accreditation.
The day-long exam will be run by Sommeliers Australia, and gives ‘Professional’ members working as Sommeliers the opportunity to achieve an internationally recognised standard of sommellerie.
The ‘International ASI Sommelier Diploma’ certification exam has been created to help:
- Develop the Sommelier profession;
- Enhance the quality of Sommeliers worldwide;
- Establish international standards for Sommeliers.
Due to current interest, the 2023 exam will be offered in Sydney only to a maximum of 8 candidates. Candidates must be working Sommeliers (in restaurants, wine bars, wine retail, distribution, etc), with at least 3 years sommelier experience.
PLUS! For the first time in 2023, Sommeliers Australia is offering Australian candidates registered for the ASI Diploma the opportunity to take part in a 5 session Diploma Bootcamp. The Bootcamp programme will provide additional and training to support candidates in their preparation for the Diploma assessment.
THE DIPLOMA EXAM
The Diploma exam will be completed in two stages:
Stage 1 – Written exam (Total time 2 hrs 55 mins)
- Written description and identification of 2 international wines served blind. (30 min)
- Identification of 2 local beverages and 3 international spirits/liquor/fortified wines (10 min)
- Questionnaire focussing on the main wine producing countries; beer, spirits and other beverages; grape varieties; viticulture; winemaking; and other topics related to the sommelier profession (90 min)
- An essay (500-800 words) on a professional theme provided by the ASI Certification Exam Committee regarding the world of beverages and the art of ‘sommellerie’ (45 min)
Stage 2 – Oral and practical tests (Each candidate is allocated 15 minutes)
- Marketing (e.g. selling a beverage). (4 min)
- Practical work (e.g. decantation, service of a bottle of wine). (6 min)
- Tasting and food & wine pairing. (5 min)
DIPLOMA CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible to sit the Diploma, candidates must:
- be fully financial Sommeliers Australia ‘Professional’ members, working as a sommelier (in restaurants, wine bars, wine retail, distribution, etc), with at least 3 years sommelier experience,
- have completed at least WSET Level 3 or CMS Certified OR have equivalent industry experience,
- pay the Examination Fee at the time of registration.
DIPLOMA BOOTCAMP – Registration for Bootcamp is now closed
Australian candidates registered for the 2023 ASI Diploma have the opportunity to take part in a 5 session Diploma Bootcamp, held online starting Monday 30 January.
The 5 x 1 hour sessions will be held on consecutive Mondays from 30 January until 27 February.
Each session will be conducted by our ASI Training Sub-Committee, headed by Sarah Andrew and supported by previous ASI Diploma recipients.
The 5 sessions will cover:
- Introduction to the Diploma and Bootcamp training
- Food and wine pairing tasks
- Theory tests
- Practical service tasks
- Practical tasting tasks
- Tips on exam preparation and approaching the assessment
- Homework (theoretical and practical) tasks will also be set
Only candidates registered for the ASI Diploma can choose to take part in the Diploma Bootcamp, by paying the nominal A$100 Bootcamp fee. Those registered for Bootcamp will receive Zoom links and further information ahead of the 30 January start date.
⇒ ASI Diploma Examination Fee – $600
Registration for ASI Diploma closes 5pm, Friday 4 March
⇒ Diploma Bootcamp – $100
Registration for Bootcamp closes 5pm, Wednesday 25 January