[NAT] ASI Diploma Certification Exam 2024
Date: March 4, 2024
On Monday 4 March 2024, ASI (Association de la Sommellerie Internationale), in association with Sommeliers Australia, will again offer the ASI Diploma certification exam to local sommeliers.
A key opportunity for sommeliers in Australia to gain international accreditation, the day-long exam will be run by Sommeliers Australia and gives ‘Professional’ members working as Sommeliers the chance to achieve an internationally recognised standard of sommellerie.
The ASI Diploma certification exam has been created to help:
- Develop the Sommelier profession;
- Enhance the quality of Sommeliers worldwide;
- Establish international standards for Sommeliers.
In 2024 the ASI Diploma exam will be offered in Melbourne only to a maximum of 8 candidates. Candidates must be working Sommeliers (in restaurants, wine bars, wine retail, distribution, etc), with at least 3 years sommelier experience.
THE DIPLOMA EXAM
The Diploma exam will be completed in two stages:
Stage 1 – Written exam (Total time 2 hrs 55 mins)
- Written description and identification of 2 international wines served blind. (30 min)
- Identification of 2 local beverages and 3 international spirits/liquor/fortified wines (10 min)
- Questionnaire focussing on the main wine producing countries; beer, spirits and other beverages; grape varieties; viticulture; winemaking; and other topics related to the sommelier profession (90 min)
- An essay (500-800 words) on a professional theme provided by the ASI Certification Exam Committee regarding the world of beverages and the art of ‘sommellerie’ (45 min)
Stage 2 – Oral and practical tests (Each candidate is allocated 15 minutes)
- Marketing (e.g. selling a beverage). (4 min)
- Practical work (e.g. decantation, service of a bottle of wine). (6 min)
- Tasting and food & wine pairing. (5 min)
DIPLOMA CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible to sit the Diploma, candidates must:
- be fully financial Sommeliers Australia ‘Professional’ members, working as a sommelier (in restaurants, wine bars, wine retail, distribution, etc), with at least 3 years sommelier experience,
- have completed at least WSET Level 3 or CMS Certified OR have equivalent industry experience,
- pay the Examination Fee at the time of registration.
⇒ ASI Diploma Examination Fee – $600
Registration for ASI Diploma closes 5pm, Friday 23 February 2024.
More information regarding ASI Diploma will be made available in December 2023, and registration will open in early 2024.