The first of two groups of Sommeliers Australia ‘Sommit scholars’ arrived in New Zealand last weekend to attend a week-long immersion in the New Zealand wine industry.
First launched in association with Sommeliers Australia in 2015, the New Zealand Winegrowers Sommelier Scholarship is now a global initiative with sommeliers from Asia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, Europe and USA joining the Australian representatives.
Scholars will embark on one of two intensive wine itineraries over the next 5 weeks. Each itinerary includes a two day Sommit™ targeted exclusively at the interests of sommeliers hosted by New Zealand based Cameron Douglas MS and Stephen Wong MW. Preceding the Sommit™ will be varietal and regional overview tastings and experiences in the regions of North Canterbury, Marlborough and Wairarapa.
The Nelson and Central Otago Sommit™ events provide a deep dive into the little-known, unique aspects of New Zealand wine. Topics covered include aged Riesling, orange wine, smaller plantings, alternative expressions of Sauvignon and Pinot Gris, and regional expressions of Pinot Noir and Syrah.
The eight Australian sommeliers are:
- Sarah Andrew, Selador Wines, VIC
- Emmanuel Cadieu, Merivale, NSW
- Morgan Golledge, Blackbird Bar & Grill, QLD
- Richard Healy, Rockpool Dining Group, NSW
- Anthony Pieri, Apples and Pears Entertainment Group, VIC
- Jeremy Prus, Lalla Rookh Bar & Eating House, WA
- Shanteh Wong, Quay Restaurant, NSW
- John Wilkinson, Barangaroo House, NSW
For a full list of the international scholars attending the first Nelson Sommit, visit https://www.nzwine.com/media/7783/nelson-sommit.pdf