Sommeliers Australia Education Scholarship
The Sommeliers Australia Tasting Education Scholarship will again be held this year. Only offered every three years, this 3-day education programme is offered to ensure that the next generation of sommeliers receive the training and support required to successfully advance in the profession. A select few Scholars will have the incredible opportunity to develop their skills in tasting, assessment and articulation, using the best wines from around the world.
Sommeliers Australia is dedicated to 'raising the bar' of this profession. To date some 50 scholars have experienced the scholarship and gone on to the highest echelons of the craft in this country and beyond.
In 2016, for the first time, we will be running the Scholarship programme in both Melbourne and Sydney:
• Three intensive days in each city;
• 10 scholars in each city;
• The best wine in the world;
• An impressive list of guest tutors will join key Sommeliers Australia education committee members to deliver this programme;
• Scholars will also take part in an invaluable session of the renowned AWRI Faults and Taints workshop, commissioned specially by Sommeliers Australia.
With acknowledgment of existing bodies Court of Master Sommeliers, WSET and the Len Evans Tutorial, this education experience will help anyone wishing to pursue a number of available accreditations.
At Sommeliers Australia we want to nurture and develop what it is to be a top class sommelier and we strongly encourage those that are not currently in senior sommelier positions, or those working in an environment where mentoring is not currently on offer, to apply for this Education Scholarship.
The two State Duxes will receive one night accommodation in Melbourne and a ticket to the Sommeliers Australia Ball (Sunday 25 September), where the National Dux will be selected, and announced.
The National Dux will receive a flight to their European destination of choice, where they can then immerse themselves in their desired wine region(s.) SELECTION CRITERIA
In order to apply, applicants must
meet the following criteria:- Must be a current Sommelier member of Sommeliers Australia;
- Must be actively working in the hospitality industry;
- Must submit a current CV, highlighting their relevant wine and service experience;
- Must have completed at least WSET Level 2 or have equivalent industry experience;
- Must be available to attend the intensive 3-day coursework and examination program, in either Sydney or Melbourne (as selected by the applicant);
- Must complete a short wine knowledge and service questionnaire;
- State Duxes must be available to attend the Sommeliers Australia Annual Ball in Melbourne on Sunday 25 September.
PLEASE NOTE: Sommelier Members from all states are welcome to apply for either the Sydney or Melbourne Education Scholarship programme, however all travel and additional expenses are the responsibility of the individual. KEY DATES8 July
Sommeliers Australia Tasting Education Scholarship announced29 July
Applications close5 August
- Announcement of Scholars for each State10-12 September
– Melbourne 3-day coursework and examination17-19 September
– Sydney 3-day coursework and examination25 September
– State Duxes compete for title of National Dux at the Sommeliers Australia Ball, in Melbourne. TO APPLY
Applications are now open. CLICK HERE
complete the entry, and ensure that you attach a copy of your current CV.
Applications are open until Friday 29 July, 5pm.
______PREVIOUS SOMMELIERS AUSTRALIA SCHOLARS2013
Harry Hunter - awarded Dux
Tristian Habeck - awarded Dux
Joshua Andrew Elias
Clara Davidson - awarded Dux
Liam O'Brien - awarded Dux
Jason Tozer About the Lorenzo Galli Scholarship
The Lorenzo Galli Scholarship began in 2009 as a stand-alone award that celebrates the diversity and richness of Italy's wine and history, while showcasing the latest trends in Australia with its interpretations of Italian varietals. The program's patron, Pamela Galli, conceived the idea of a scholarship to honour her late husband, Lorenzo Galli.PREVIOUS GALLI SCHOLARSHIP DUXES
2013 - Julia Sewell
2012 – Karina Dambergs – Clover Hill Wines/Taltarni Vineyards, TAS
2011 – Brendan Carter - University of Adelaide, SA
2010 – Jeannette Clarke - La Vita Buona, VIC
2009 – Sally Humble , Cutler & Co, VIC